Walk With Ease is a six-week walking program that teaches safe ways to incorporate physical activity into daily life. This program is doctor recommended, and developed and certified by the Arthritis Foundation.
There are two ways to participate:
- Join a group-led class
- Try the self-guided approach
Who can participate in Walk With Ease
All ages and ability levels can participate! If you are able to be on your feet for at least 10 minutes without increased pain—even if you use a cane or a walker—this program is a great way to increase physical activity.
Health and wellness benefits
Walk With Ease can help you:
- Walk safely and comfortably
- Improve your flexibility, strength, and stamina
- Reduce pain associated with arthritis
Group-led sessions are led by CPR certified leaders who are trained in the Walk With Ease program. Each 1-hour session includes:
- Brief education discussion
- Warm-up and cool-down exercises
- 10-35 minute walk at your pace
- Optional activities and exercises using the class materials
Are you looking to start walking, but not able to commit to an in-person walking group at this time? Join an online six-week session from anywhere in South Dakota. Sessions are held 4-5 times each year.
When you register, SDSU Extension will send you:
- Free Walk With Ease book
- Tips and techniques to manage your walking and arthritis
- Emails to check progress
Participants are encouraged to send weekly walking logs to follow their progress throughout the self-guided program.
For more information on the Walk With Ease self-guided program or to find a group-led class near you, contact: