Fun Facts About Peas
- The oldest pea ever recorded was found in Thailand. It was 3,000 years old!
- The proper etiquette for eating peas in the United Kingdom is to smash them into a mush with the back of a fork.
- Canada is the world’s largest producer and exporter of peas. The country produces almost half of the world’s supply of peas. France, China, and Russia and the next top producing countries.
- Pea plants will grow up to 6 feet or higher as vines in rich soil.
- The world record for eating peas is 7,175 peas in an hour set by an English woman in 1984.
- Peas were among the first vegetables to frozen before they were marketed. About 95% of all peas harvested today are sold frozen or canned.
- Peas are sometimes consumed to relieve ulcer pains in the stomach because they ‘absorb’ some of the acid.
What’s Included in the Pea Lesson Plan
- Tips & recipes
- Nutritional information
- Presenter outline & talking points
- Sticker template
- PowerPoint presentation
- Student handouts
Can’t get enough fruits and veggies? Every month we feature a new fruit or veggie. Get fun facts, recipes, and more!