Cancer affects almost everyone whether it’s a friend, family member, neighbor, classmate, co-worker, or you. But what if there were things we could do that could potentially help us protect ourselves and our families from cancer? It is not one magic super food or a new drink, pill, supplement, or drug. It is eating healthy and being active from the start. February is National Cancer Prevention Month. Check out this infographic for realistic and achievable healthy eating and activity tips for kids (and you!) for lifelong cancer protection.
Kids Healthy Eating Tips:
- Let children serve themselves. It allows them to learn portion sizes.
- It make take up to 12 times to convince a child to try a new food.
- Cook with your kids and enjoy family dinner night.
- Kids who drink one or more sugary beverages per day have 55% greater odds of being overweight or obese. Serve water and low-fat or fat-free milk instead.
Kids Healthy Activity Tips:
- Find creative ways for kids to be active for at least 60 minutes each day.
- Try an organized sport like soccer or a game of tag.
- Try push ups, hanging on the monkey bars, or climbing a jungle gym.
- Limit inactivity such as screen time. Kids older than 2 should be restricted to no more than 2 hours a day and kids younger than 2 should have zero screen time.
And that’s not all! Kids with healthy habits are at lower risk for issues with obesity, heart disease, type 2 diabetes, stroke, and osteoarthritis later in life. Embrace a healthier lifestyle today!