- Bell peppers, also known as sweet peppers, are like the Christmas ornaments of the vegetable world since they are beautifully shaped, glossy in appearance and come in a variety of vivid colors such as green, red, yellow, orange, purple, brown and black.
- Bell peppers have a delightful, slightly watery crunch. Green and purple peppers have a slightly bitter flavor, while the red, orange and yellows are sweeter and almost fruity.
- The most popular sweet pepper in the United States is the bell pepper.
- As bell peppers mature, their color changes from green to red and they become sweeter.
- The pepper plant is a member of the Solanaceae or “nightshade” family, which also includes tomatoes and potatoes.
- Peppers are botanically a fruit of Capsicum plants. However, in the culinary world, people recognize peppers as a vegetable.
- Pimento and paprika are both prepared from red bell peppers.
Make learning easy, tasty, and fun!
Download now for:
- Tips & recipes
- Nutritional information
- Presenter outline & talking points
- Sticker template
- PowerPoint presentation
- Student handouts
Can’t get enough fruits and veggies? Every month we feature a new fruit or veggie. Get fun facts, recipes, and more!