With all the great places to be active in South Dakota, you may have a hard time narrowing down the choices. Fortunately, the SD Department of Health, SDSU Extension, and the SD Game, Fish & Parks teamed up to create a couple of handy lists that show some of the different activities offered in South Dakota State Parks.
- Group activities: disc golf, volleyball, basketball, soccer, and softball
- Low impact activities: walking, geo-cacheing, swimming, and lawn games
- Trail activities: walking, running, hiking, biking, and archery
- Water activities: swimming, canoeing, kayaking, and paddle boarding
- Winter activities: snow shoeing, cross-country skiing, and hiking
Physical activity has immediate health benefits and the best part is—any activity counts! That’s right, even small amounts of moderate to vigorous physical activity can:
- Reduce anxiety
- Improve quality of sleep
- Help maintain bone density
- Increase strength
- Improve flexibility
Walking for just a few minutes a day is the perfect way to start exploring all the great places in our beautiful state parks. So, grab the kids, a friend, load up a pet, and take a walk in one of our great state parks—better yet, find an activity and invite the whole gang!