TLC (Therapeutic Lifestyle Changes) is a set of lifestyle changes that can help you lower your LDL cholesterol. TLC includes:
- A cholesterol-lowering diet (the TLC diet)
- Weight management
- Physical activity
The TLC diet recommends:
- Limiting the amount of saturated fat, trans-fat, and cholesterol you eat
- Eating only enough calories to achieve or maintain a healthy weight
- Increasing the soluble fiber in your diet by eating foods such as oatmeal, kidney beans, and apples
- Adding cholesterol-lowering foods, such as juices or margarines that contain plant sterols or stanols
Weight management means if you are overweight, losing weight can help lower your LDL cholesterol.
Regular physical activity is recommended for everyone. It can help raise HDL the good cholesterol and it can help lower LDL the bad cholesterol levels.