Live Well Sioux Falls and the Sioux Falls Food Council is proud to present the new Eat Well, Live Well campaign! Each month a new fruit or vegetable will be highlighted along with a healthy recipe developed by local Sioux Falls chefs and restaurants.
What is Decembers fruit or vegetable? PEARS!
Did you know that pears…
- Are an excellent source of dietary fiber (41% in the form of pectin), which helps you feel full, keep normal blood sugar levels, and avoid constipation. Most of the fiber is found in the skin of the pear.
- Are a good source of Vitamin C. It is essential for metabolism, healing, and guarding against infectious diseases.
- Are a good source of potassium, an element lost easily in children due to their active lifestyles.
- Ripen from the inside out. Pears that are soft around the middle may be over ripe and not as good as another one.
- Can be red, yellow, brown, or green.
- Can be ripened on the tree, but for better quality, they are best picked early and allowed to ripen indoors.
Take the pear challenge and eat at least one pear each week in December.
- Add sliced pears to green salads for a sweet crunch.
- Toss chopped pears, onions, bell peppers, and mangos with a touch of cilantro and lime juice. Serve with baked corn chips for a quick salsa your kids will love.
- Cut a pear in half and scoop out stem and core. Fill with yogurt and top with granola.
Don’t stop there! Find ways to promote pears at your work, school, childcare, and in your community!
Learn more about pears with this Pick It! Try It! Like It! fact sheet.