- China produces over 20 million tons of onions!
- Around 9.2 million acres of onions are harvested annually around the world.
- Libya has the highest consumption of onions in the world with around 30kg per person consumed annually.
- In the middle ages onions were not just used as food, but as medicine to relieve headaches, snake bites and to cure hair loss.
- Pilgrims took onions to America on the Mayflower only to discover that the Native Americans already used them extensively for food, clothing dyes and even as toys.
- Onion skins have been used in some dyes for things like wool.
- You cry when onions are cut because some compounds are released that irritate the lachrymal glands in the eyes which causes tears to be released.
Make learning easy, tasty, and fun!
Download now for:
- Tips & recipes
- Nutritional information
- Presenter outline & talking points
- Sticker template
- PowerPoint presentation
- Student handouts