Try these kabobs for a quick and easy snack!
Prep time: 15 minutes
What you need:
- 1 apple
- 1 banana
- 1/3 c. red seedless grapes
- 1/3 c. green seedless grapes
- 2/3 cup pineapple chunks
- 1 cup nonfat yogurt
- ¼ c. dried coconut, shredded
Equipment and supplies:
- knife (you’ll need help from your adult assistant)
- 2 wooden skewer sticks
- large plate
What to do:
- 1. Prepare the fruit by washing the grapes, washing the apples and cutting them into small squares, peeling the bananas and cutting them into chunks, and cutting the pineapple into chunks, if it’s fresh. Put the fruit onto a large plate.
- 2. Spread coconut onto another large plate.
- 3. Slide pieces of fruit onto the skewer and design your own kabob by putting as much or as little of whatever fruit you want! Do this until the stick is almost covered from end to end.
- 4. Hold your kabob at the ends and roll it in the yogurt, so the fruit gets covered. Then roll it in the coconut.
- 5. Repeat these steps with another skewer.
How much does this recipe make?
- 4 servings.
- Serving size: 1 kabob
Nutritional analysis (per serving):
- 141 calories
- 3 g fat
- 28 g carbohydrate
- 3 g fat
- 1 mg cholesterol
- 2 g saturated fat
- 52 mg sodium
- 103 mg calcium
- 0.5 mg iron
- 3 g fiber
- Note: Nutritional analysis may vary depending on ingredient brands used.
Variations and suggestions:
- Roll your kabobs in something besides coconut. Try granola, nuts, or raisins, or use your imagination.
Reviewed by: Allison Brinkley, RD, LD/N
Source: KidsHealth; Fun Fruit Kabobs