Note: Get a grownup’s help with this recipe, which requires using the oven/stove.
Prep time: 55 minutes
What you need:
- 1 box whole-wheat penne pasta (14 ounces)
- 3 cups of raw broccoli florettes
- ¾ cup of precooked chicken strips (4 ounces)
- ½ cup reduced-fat cheddar cheese, shredded (2 ounces)
- ½ cup mozzarella cheese, shredded (2 ounces)
- 3 tablespoons skim milk (1.5 oz)
- 2 tablespoons low-sodium chicken broth
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ¾ teaspoon ground black pepper
Equipment and supplies:
- Pot for cooking pasta and steaming broccoli
- Colander for draining pasta
- 13×9-inch baking dish
- Steamer basket for broccoli
- Measuring cups/spoons
- Mixing bowl
What to do:
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 2. Cook pasta according to directions until crisp-tender. Drain pasta.
- 3. Place drained pasta in a 13×9 baking dish.
- 4. Place broccoli in a stockpot of boiling water or a steamer for about 5 minutes.
- 5. Rinse with cool water.
- 6. Add the drained broccoli and the precooked chicken strips to the pasta.
- 7. Sprinkle shredded cheeses over pasta mixture.
- 8. In a mixing bowl, combine milk, chicken broth, salt, and pepper.
- 9. Pour milk mixture evenly over the pasta mixture and mix in with a spoon.
- 10. Cover baking dish with foil.
- 11. Bake 30 minutes, until mixture is bubbly and cheese is melted.
How much does this recipe make?
- Six servings
Reviewed by: Mary L. Gavin, MD
Source: KidsHealth; Chic’ Penne